Thursday, January 13, 2011

Running for Prevent Blindness Texas in 2011

This year I made some friends at the Cowtown and decided to pay forward some of their generosity by dedicating my run to a local charity. I have done plumbing work at Prevent Blindness and gotten to know Kathi fairly well, and my Mother and Sister's employer, Alcon, also has a relationship with them. It seemed like a great match.

As it turns out, I was right.

The drive for funds started with a trip to Prevent Blindness, and Kathi was excited and willing to help out in any way she could. Soon there was an agreement to become one of Cowtown Marathon's non-profits, then messages to her headquarters in Chicago to start streamlining the donation process. I started beating the streets literally and virtually (on Facebook) and my friends came through surpassing my expectations. I also found another connection: an old high school friend of mine, and my Daughter's school nurse, has already had dealings with Prevent Blindness Texas. The school has been able to help less fortunate kids have their vision screened, tested, and corrected.

This really is a pretty amazing world- when you reach out, I always seem to find a helping hand.

Thanks to everyone, we currently have pledges totaling $406.

If you know of any corporate money looking for a good cause, drop me a line.
run4pb@att.net

No comments: