Friday, December 12, 2008

My Whiterock Faux Pas

This weekend I will be watching the Whiterock Marathon from my livingroom. . . I had previously penciled this race into my schedule as part of a double marathon season, but, I have not made the time for training, nor have I any money right now. Certainly, I could rationalize the whole thing by saying that I am focusing on my hockey team's push for the play-offs, which is partly true. But the fact is, I am beginning to question my commitment to running.

I had planned on writing a column on my relationship with running several months ago, but my delay has proven to be the real litmus test, meaning there is no need to philosophically debate it in writing anymore. The fact is, I am a marginal competitor. I want to win at the things I try to do, I just don't want to expend alot of effort to obtain that win. This is the reason that I have no doubt ended up where I am in this life. If it comes easy to me, then I am willing to take advantage of it, but if I have to work for it, then I will find other avenues to expend my very limited energies. It's pretty pathetic, but it is something that I am trying to overcome.

While the money issue is a real one, I am ashamed of my lack of commitment to the sport. I will watch this race, this time, but I will not let it pass me by again. And, I am strengthened in my resolve to not only run the Cowtown but to run it well. I only have a few weeks to get prepared for this race, but it is enough. So watch out Amanda, I am gunning for you, still. Good luck to you in March or whenever your race is, you will need it.

I won't formally commit myself to the Big D Marathon here, but I really do want to make this a double marathon season. I may just have to, in order to keep my spirits up.

2 comments:

littleA said...

I don't understand why people say things are a litmus test. The only time I use the litmus test is when I'm determining the pH of a given solution.

Also... you need the luck, my friend. I have the commitment. ;)

littleA said...

now THIS blog sucks!!! (I did notice that your half time is faster than mine, but I doubt Cowtown had the hills that Buffalo had)